School Core Team Meetings
School Core Team meetings are the initial access point for rehabilitation service options,
School Core Team Discussion Guide
The School Core Team will meet regularly to:
- Celebrate successes
- Discuss any challenges and possible solutions
- Discuss all of the service and support needs in the school
- which students need which services, which students are already active and which are waiting for services, which groups are already running and which are needed in the future
NOTE: The School Snapshot Summary Process is an excellent tool for School Core Teams to assist in summarizing, prioritizing, and planning services.
School Snapshot Summary-Template
- determine which strategies have already been tried by the teacher
- discuss whether there are additional universal strategies the teacher could implement in the classroom to meet these needs, and if they require support
- decide which targeted service options could be delivered (by teacher and/or therapist)
- decide which students need a referral for an Individual Partnership, and which disciplines are required
- decide collaboratively which students can be discharged
- determine if students require additional services from another discipline
NOTE: If a therapist is already active with the student, a new referral is not required; the current therapist can make a request to add a new discipline through Coordinated Intake.
4. Collaboratively prioritize service and support needs
- prioritize needs in order of what needs to be done first, second, third, etc
- as you identify priorities, enter them onto the School Snapshot Summary form
NOTE: If it is not clear which service a particular student needs, place them in the review column for further discussion
5. Schedule services and supports
- Using a schedule of the actual, specific therapist time available between now and the next school meeting, enter services and supports identified above into the schedule in order of priority
- This includes time AT the school, as well as time AWAY from the school to complete reports, prep, administrative duties, etc. – schedule all time
- Stop when you have filled the schedule – anything not scheduled becomes a waitlist, to be considered at the next meeting
6. Monitor the ongoing effectiveness
- Repeat these steps at future meetings, removing items complete or students discharged, and adding new items/students to your list
- Re-prioritize, and complete the schedule for the time between each meeting
NOTE: One of the purposes of every Core School Team meeting is to plan services between each meeting. An outcome of each meeting should be a clear plan of which services will take place, for/with whom, and when – for the time period between this meeting and the next scheduled meeting.
To download a customizable word document for School Core Team Minutes click here.