Targeted Services Example:
- Click below for a description of many different programs that can be used by therapists and/or teachers to support targeted groups.
- These programs may also be used by the teacher as universal strategies to benefit the entire class.
- Please note that therapists may also customize an existing program or create additional strategies to better focus on the specific needs of a targeted group.
- Specific examples could include strategies for:
- correct pronoun use,
- student self-regulation
- personal space
- shoe tying
- reducing excessive pressure for pencil grip
Targeted Groups Vs. Group Therapy
It is important to differentiate between Targeted groups and Group therapy:
These students have a common set of needs as identified by their teacher that can be met by building awareness of new or weak skills in a group setting. This service is short term with a defined length, usually a few weeks in length. Lessons are designed to teach skills but not to individualize the strategies for each member of the group. The main purposes of a targeted group are to:
- build or strengthen skills in students, and
- enable school staff to use the information and strategies themselves with future students.
NO data on individual students is kept by therapists, and while there may be some correction, participants are not focused on individually. This is NOT therapy.
This is a type of treatment that occurs when a group of students on a therapist’s caseload are provided individualized therapy in a group setting.
The KEY word here is THERAPY. This is more individualized than targeted work. Data on individual students is kept by therapists, and individual strategies and cues are identified and used to help specific students be successful. Future therapeutic intervention is dependent on individual student progress. In this type of treatment, each member of the group would have an Individual Partnership – where someone involved in the process consistently practices skills between therapist’s visits.
*This website is a record of a constantly evolving partnership. It is as accurate as possible at any given time and will be regularly updated to reflect changing processes and information. However, be advised that there may possibly be a lag updating the website with the most current information and processes.