*The RCSD partnerships across the province are being eliminated by the provincial government as of September 1, 2020. As a result, the information on this page will no longer be valid. The website is being maintained for one year to allow partners to continue to access the resources*
Referring for Nursing Services
Individual referrals for new students in need of services from our Nurse Case Coordinators are sent by the school to Coordinated Intake following a process similar to Rehabilitation Referrals (SLP, OT, PT).
A. School Steps
- Teacher and parent discuss medical and/or functional concerns about a student. Note: Parents should not be directed to contact Coordinated Intake directly to make a referral for school-based services.
- To help evaluate the severity of the student need and determine if a referral for service is appropriate, the teacher discusses the student’s needs with the Specialty Teacher (LST, LST, Inclusion Coach, SSF etc.) if there is one or with an administrator (school-based or jurisdiction-based depending upon the protocol in each school authority). If SLP or OT support is also being requested, the School Core team (if there is one) needs to be consulted.
- If nursing service is required, the teacher talks with the family regarding the concerns and referral and obtains their agreement to move forward with a referral.
- The teacher (or appropriate school staff member) completes the referral form. Click here to download Referral For Services Package or Sample Completed Children’s Rehabilitation Services Referral Form Note: Parents are not asked to complete referral forms. Parent information will be collected verbally by Coordinated Intake.
- The school ensures that appropriate assessments or other information pertaining to the referral is included with the referral package.
- The teacher (or appropriate school staff member) forwards the referral along with accompanying documentation to Children’s Rehabilitation Services- Coordinated Intake (assigned to the school division) by mail, fax, or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
B. Coordinated Intake Steps
- Coordinated Intake Social Workers receive the referrals and collect the information that sets the consultants up for successful intervention with child/youth and family. The Social Worker connects with Parents/Guardians to discuss the referral received, gathers input regarding the family’s specific concerns and perceptions, connects the family with needed supports and identifies possible barriers to service.
- Once complete the Social Worker forwards the intake package to the appropriate service provider and sends a confirmation letter to the school contact titled “Report Back to Referral Source” once the referral package has been completed and forwarded to the consultant.
- Click below for the timeline and details of the steps taken by Coordinated Intake including contact with the school when the referral is forwarded to the service provider OR if unable to contact the parents.
Coordinated Intake Steps and Timeline –Coordinated Intake Steps and Timeline
Please Note: Services may vary according to staffing structure in a school or community.
*This website is a record of a constantly evolving partnership. It is as accurate as possible at any given time and will be regularly updated to reflect changing processes and information. However, be advised that there may possibly be a lag updating the website with the most current information and processes.